Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Community Inquiry Project: The Level of Science Literacy in Newark

One of our major assignments for our urban class is to design a community inquiry project. For this week, we are to brainstorm a topic that we would like to examine for our community inquiry project. For the last few days I have been thinking about my community inquiry project. What topic(s) that I would like to examine for my community inquiry project? For the last few days I could not answer that question. For inspiration, I decided to check out the topics that my fellow classmates had decided to examine for their inquiry project. Man, to say the least, there are some great topics that are posted on my classmates' blogs. Although my classmates came up with great topics to examine for their community project; however, I believe their ideas are to grand: these ideas require in depth analyses and a great amount of research--my classmates' topics need to be in the sugular level.

As a result, I have decided that my topic needs to be a simple one, not superb. Something that we can examine in depth without going aboard with ideals like how we can fix urban schools. So, for my community project, I would like to know how the Office of Science of Education plans to raise the level of science literacy in Newark, specifically biology. In order to do, I will examine one of the high schools in Newark and what they are doing to raise the level of science literacy of their students. What types of programs they are providing students? The kind of biology classes students are taking; their scores in high stakes tests; and other things that I haven't think of yet. Next, I will do an evaluation of the school's plan to raise students' level of science literacy. Are they succeeding or failing? If they are failing, what needs to be done to create a better plan to raise students' level of science literacy? That's all I have for know.

1 comment:

rg said...

I think this is a great idea. At the same time, your project is also very ambitious. And part of my job is to help you find the small kernel of a question that you can explore in 6 weeks.