Friday, September 26, 2008

Good Teaching II

In my last post, I wrote a lot about the pedagogy of poverty, but i didn't explain why the pedagogy of poverty does not work. In this post, i will take the time to explain why the pedagogy of poverty does not work. For those who didn't read my previous post, before continue reading, I recommend that you read my previous post because it will help you understand the pedagogy of poverty and what I will be writing as of right now.

Based on my last post, the pedagogy of poverty doest not work. Why? Not focusing so much on Haberman's reasons why the pedagogy of poverty does not work, but base on my point of view why it does not work. Let's us begin the journey. To me, the pedagogy of poverty does not teach students to learn. It teaches students to take things--concepts, events, vocabularies, and others--and give them back to the teacher either on a quiz, test, paper, or out loud in class. I'm not saying, taking things and give back to teachers by students are wrong; but, using it as the only means of learning is very, very bad. Furthermore, students are not asked to think through what they have learned or questioned them. They are thought, it is what it is--so learn it and memorize it. These are not good teaching. They are bad and old-fashioned teaching methods that need to be change to correlate with present society. We need new teaching methods to teach our present day students.

No comments: